Thursday, March 8

JJ's Aquarium

I have always wanted an aquarium and would love to have one down here, but it’s just not practical. What would I do with my fish when we return to Canada?

When Charlie built our casa, he put a niche in the living room because he thought I would really like to have one. Nothing in our casa has curved lines except this niche so I never really cared for it. Over the years I’ve painted it several different colours and have played with arrangements of pottery, paintings and art objects, but have never really been happy with it until now.

On the wall of the niche I’ve hung a vibrant Huichol yarn painting. I filled the base of the niche with white sand and have raked it to look like waves. On the bed of sand I’ve placed a unique piece of Gorky Gonzalez pottery, several beautiful blown-glass balls & tropical fish, a few colourful ceramic sea anemones and some glass shells.

The niche finally feels like it belongs in our casa and I have an aquarium that doesn’t require much maintenance and makes me smile when I pass by. It's also a great conversation piece.




No comments: