Thursday, March 1

Big, Juicy Watermelon




Right now it is 7:01 a.m. and I’m fooling around with my blog. I’m being very lazy this morning. I didn’t get up until about 6 and haven’t started tackling my daily chores yet. It was lovely and quiet around here until Maria arrived. Guess it’s time to get moving. Today is Thursday so it’s tianguis day once again. Soon I’ll be off and running.

Before I take off, I’ll publish my blog for today. I’m going to tell you about the watermelon vendor. A couple of mornings a week, we hear the rumble of a truck driving over the cobblestones on our street. The driver has his megaphone turned on and announces that he has fresh, juicy watermelons for sale. This week I grabbed my camera before going out to ask him to pick me the best watermelon on the truck. For my 15 pesos I got a beautiful big watermelon and a couple of pictures of the vendor.

It seems I go through a watermelon every couple of days down here. Bruce doesn’t eat it so I get to eat the WHOLE thing all by myself. I usually take off the rind and chop it into big chunks so I can grab a piece whenever I feel like it during the day. It’s just so---------------- sweet and delicious when ice cold from the fridge. Just another one of the many perks of living in the tropics.

No comments: