Thursday, March 8

Demolition Time

Dave Bryan, from Qualicum Beach asked me to comment on the cost of real estate down here. Dave and Debbie spent a couple of months in Guayabitos this winter so I think they got a bit of an idea about real estate values, but I think prices are going to rise dramatically over the next few of years.

There are 5900 new hotel rooms planned for Boca del Naranjo, (which I’ve talked about) and plans for major development at Chacala, both of which are north of here. There’s also plans to develop 2200 acres at Punta Raza which is south of here. Each of these beaches is accessed from the highway, leading north and south of us, and each of the turnoffs to these beaches is within a 15 minute drive from Guayabitos. Boca de Naranjo and Punta Raza have already been gated by the government and I understand that access to part of Chacala’s beach has also been restricted.





We've been told that construction is to begin soon, somewhere near us, on a new airport, four lane highway and approximately 3000 housing units. This accommodation would be built solely to house the Mexican labourers who will be working on all the new projects.

There are rumours that changes are being made to the beach in La Penita and that the Government may be building a malecon (seawall) to beautify the shoreline. Peñita’s beach is not as nice as Guayabitos’ because it tends to be steeper, a little rocky in spots and has several old decrepit buildings detracting from the view. When I was in poking around Peñita the other day, I noticed that some of these buildings are being demolished so maybe the rumour is true. If so, it would benefit both the locals and the tourists.
I think if anyone is planning to invest in property near Guayabitos, they probably shouldn't wait much longer.

No comments: