
We have several potted ficuses (figs) in our yard. You can see that a few of them were woven together to form a lattice pattern, before being planted.

I wanted “headboards” painted on a wall in the guest bedroom so we tossed around ideas. Kerry thought woven ficuses could look good and I agreed. Now it was time to find an artist.
During our travels we came across a young man named Godofredo who was in town painting signs for local businesses. Of course he didn’t have a vehicle or any money so we brought him home and I tried to tell him what I wanted. This was a bit difficult because he didn't speak a word of English and my Spanish isn't great. It was to be the beginning of another adventure.
Godo was hungry and needed paint so I coughed up some dinero and took him over to PeƱita to get some lunch and to buy supplies. He said he wouldn’t be back for a few hours so the kids and I went off doing things. When we got home, we found that Bruce had let Godo in and he'd already painted a very large jungle scene on the wall. Oops !!!
Something must have been lost in translation. Monkeys in trees were not what I wanted. Of course I paid Godo for his time and gave him extra pesos for more paint. Kerry sealed and painted over the jungle scene and Godo took off to get more supplies, but never came back. The next day we spent a few hours driving around 'til we found him. He said he could start right away if I would give him enough dinero to pay his overdue rent and drive him to Los Ayala to pay his landlord.
Over the next few days we had a lot of laughs with Godo and he did get the ficuses painted. He also got started on a gecko which I thought would be cute on the ceiling in the kids’ room. He was always broke and hungry so I was forever feeding him and handing out more pesos.

The gecko never did get finished, but we have great memories of our fun days with Godofredo.

He must have moved on, because I never saw him again. I hope he’s doing well.

I wanted “headboards” painted on a wall in the guest bedroom so we tossed around ideas. Kerry thought woven ficuses could look good and I agreed. Now it was time to find an artist.
During our travels we came across a young man named Godofredo who was in town painting signs for local businesses. Of course he didn’t have a vehicle or any money so we brought him home and I tried to tell him what I wanted. This was a bit difficult because he didn't speak a word of English and my Spanish isn't great. It was to be the beginning of another adventure.
Godo was hungry and needed paint so I coughed up some dinero and took him over to PeƱita to get some lunch and to buy supplies. He said he wouldn’t be back for a few hours so the kids and I went off doing things. When we got home, we found that Bruce had let Godo in and he'd already painted a very large jungle scene on the wall. Oops !!!

Something must have been lost in translation. Monkeys in trees were not what I wanted. Of course I paid Godo for his time and gave him extra pesos for more paint. Kerry sealed and painted over the jungle scene and Godo took off to get more supplies, but never came back. The next day we spent a few hours driving around 'til we found him. He said he could start right away if I would give him enough dinero to pay his overdue rent and drive him to Los Ayala to pay his landlord.
Over the next few days we had a lot of laughs with Godo and he did get the ficuses painted. He also got started on a gecko which I thought would be cute on the ceiling in the kids’ room. He was always broke and hungry so I was forever feeding him and handing out more pesos.

The gecko never did get finished, but we have great memories of our fun days with Godofredo.

He must have moved on, because I never saw him again. I hope he’s doing well.
No comments:
Post a Comment